Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: List of Plastic AG Things

  1. #31
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I'm confused. Are you saying that you believe that they are still coral, or that they always were plastic?

    I've seen a lot of coral beads that are uniform in shape.

    I can also see how the description "coral colored" would be saying that the beads are only imitation coral, ie plastic.
    Joy

  2. #32
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My impression is that Felicity's beads have always been imitation coral.

  3. #33
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jeanette M.:
    My impression is that Felicity's beads have always been imitation coral.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sorry for being confusing. Yes they were always imitation coral. thanks Jeanette

  4. #34
    Inactive Member annkirstin's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also echoing others about the Indianhead penny--my Sam's is real too. But it would've been impossible for them to keep that up forever!

  5. #35
    Inactive Member djsnjones@mindspring.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2002
    Posts
    781
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To add to the list of plastic things....

    Molly's canteen with her new outfit, the cowgirl outfit. But I'm not sure if this counts, since it's never been any other way.

    Joy

  6. #36
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what about Felicity's doll? Is she still made of wood?

  7. #37
    Inactive Member julie835's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hate plastic as much as the next guy (gal), but I sure hope Felicity's necklace isn't real coral, I hate to get on my soapbox, but coral reefs need to be protected. Julie

  8. #38
    Inactive Member *meg*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    105
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Addy's gourd was originally real, I remember seeing an ebay auction for Addy's accessory set that came with a little note from PC saying that because of some storm that wiped out the gourd population at the place where the gourds for Addy's set were grown that the gourd would be sent at a later date.


    I have a really old molly ballerina doll and it is wood.

    i also want to add that i have a really old kirsten lunch and the food is made out of wood. that must have happened before the clay (which is waht my addy and sam lunches are made out of) i think the plastic soft food did happen at some point around the introduction of josie...

    meg

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ February 27, 2004 07:09 PM: Message edited by: *meg* ]</font>

  9. #39
    Inactive Member moperperp's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 18th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Some really interesting points made from both sides of the wood/plastic issue. I tend to agree with what sprite99 was saying about defining quality. I read in several of these threads about people not feeling like they get what they pay for when a product is made of plastic. I think people have a preceived value for different materials even though, in many cases, it is backwards. Wood, being the stuff of beautiful oak cabinets and cedar chests, is perfect for those applications. However, plastic is not the antichrist when it comes to other applications...things that need to take a beating and survive, like toys for instance. AG toys are just that...toys. They are developed, marketed and sold as toys rather than collectibles. I would venture to say that the development costs for a plastic product far exceed the cost of cheap Chinese lumber and some paint. That said, I have to say that AG is doing the right thing by incorporating more plastic into product. Toys need to change with the times. The hammer and nails days of toys are gone. Antique shops are the place to go for that. Not to be a wiseguy here but how many of you pro wooden toy folk out there would buy a wooden cell phone, computer, etc.? It just doesn't make sense, does it? Do you see what I'm getting at here? Toys should be made to play with and wooden toys just don't cut it in the 21st century. I don't think it is fair to bash AG for following their mission and developing toys with girls in mind, rather than collectors. I doubt the collectors do much of anything to pay the bills compared to the toy buyers. Showing a profit probably matters more to them than pleasing collectors. I apologize if any of this seems misdirected, being a collectors web site, but let's be realistic. The collectors are a tiny little minority that mean jack to a corporation like Mattel. Accept it and move on. There is life beyond American Girl wooden product and it is OK.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member sharlit's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    293
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    moperperp, I find your arguement rather interesting. You are saying that wooden toys are a thing of the past so we should accept plastic. The irony here is that the whole point of the AGC line is to make miniatures of the toys of the past! They didn't use plastic then, so we don't expect them to use plastic now. A girl in 1904 was not pushing around a plastic doll pram.

    As for play quality, I think my friends and I were rather rough on my collection, but I didn't have any problems with things breaking. Samantha's pram from '89 held up just fine to girls' play.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •